2010 F1 Drivers – Mercedes GP confirms Nico Rosberg

Nico Rosberg will race Silver Arrows next year

Nico Rosberg will race Silver Arrows next year

Mercedes GP (formerly Brawn GP) announced today that from the 2010 season, as expected, German driver Nico Rosberg will drive for the new Mercedes team in the Formula 1 World Championship.

Nico Rosberg: “I am really happy to be a part of the Silver Arrows re-launch in 2010 as a driver for Mercedes. No other brand in Formula 1 can look back on such a long and successful tradition in motor racing. I am very proud that I will now drive for the new Mercedes team and work with Ross Brawn. I am more motivated than ever and can hardly wait to start testing with the new Silver Arrow and for the first race of the new season at Bahrain on 14 March 2010.”

Ross Brawn, Team Principal: “We are delighted to welcome Nico Rosberg to our Mercedes team and are very much looking forward to working with him. Nico is a great talent, and with four years of experience in Formula 1, is a driver who will be able to make a valuable contribution to our team right from the outset. I had the pleasure of working with his father Keke during his Formula One career and it is great to see Nico following in his footsteps. 2009 was Nico’s best season in Formula 1 to date and we look forward to seeing his development continue with us at Mercedes next year.”

Norbert Haug, Vice President Mercedes-Benz Motorsport: “I saw Nico racing karts alongside Lewis Hamilton and later in the support programme of the DTM events – I have known him since he was a young boy. Early on it was obvious that he would make his way as a race driver and we are glad that after four years with Williams he will now be one of our drivers at Mercedes. It makes our re-start even nicer, that we have as talented and sympathetic a driver as Nico in our line-up. Nico has positive ambitions, we have positive ambitions and together we want to achieve a great deal. I am really looking forward to working with him.”

Now the question is, who will be Rosberg’s team mate. Nick Heidfeld, Kimi Raikkonen and even Michael Schumacher have been mentioned since Jenson Button’s move to McLaren. Mercedes people may however take their time knowing that what they have is probably the best vacant seat on the grid …

More on 2010 F1 drivers – see here.

Photo: Williams/LAT

1. JohnNo Gravatar says:

Nico, Excellent decision. Ross Brawn will give you the edge you need to make the podium home. I just hope that the car allows you to show your true talents. From Karts to GP@ to F1 I have been inspired by your abilities to navigate a circuit just as your father did years ago.  Time to teach the big boys a lesson or to about the champion blood that flows through your vains. I am a long time Williams supporter….BUT ! I will follow you to the Silver Arrows and hope to share in your glory in season 2010. Good Luck and make KEKe proud.

2. mr. c.No Gravatar says:

is he paid a bonus each time he gets the words “silver” and “arrows” into a sentence?

3. psychyNo Gravatar says:

I really wonder, if Mercedes GP will be as fast as last year. If yes, Nico has good changes for the Championship. I think he is a good driver and with the right car he sure can show it!

I really wonder, if Mercedes GP will be as fast as last year.

no one usually knows how good or bad the car is until the first race, although the tests can give some general picture (like this year it was obvious after the last winter tests that Brawn is quick while McLaren about 2.5 secs off the pace). no one can really tell how quick or slow the new Mercedes will be in relation to Ferrari or McLaren or Red Bull. But they have admitted one of the reasons for the dip in form in later part of the season was redirection of some resources towards the 2010 car. Also, unlike their 2009 “Honda” car the new car will be designed for running with Mercedes engine.

Rosberg has an opportunity to elevate himself from “young talent” to the “elite” class of Hamilton, Alonzo, and Vettel.  With the resources of Mercedes, it would be shocking if Silver Arrows was not one of the front runners.

I see you have listed Jose Maria Lopez as a driver for USF1.  I thought they were pursuing talent from the United States.  This seems like an interesting choice.

I see you have listed Jose Maria Lopez as a driver for USF1. I thought they were pursuing talent from the United States. This seems like an interesting choice.

They were pursuing talent from USA or at least that was the original agenda. Now it looks like they need money and any talent must come with funding. Basically they are looking for pay drivers. The Lopez announcement came with the condition that he will raise 8 mil USD in personal sponsorship. He has raised some part of it but he still has few mil to go, that’s why that conditional clause …