Robert Kubica confirmed by Renault

Robert Kubica

Robert Kubica

As expected Renault F1 team has confirmed that Robert Kubica will replace Fernando Alonso and will drive for the team from the 2010 season onwards. There has been no information about the length of Kubica’s contract with Renault. Kubica tested for Renault back in 2005 following his World Series by Renault title. There has been no word on the team’s second driver.

“We are very excited to have signed Robert with the Renault F1 Team starting next season. Ever since Robert made his Grand Prix debut in 2006, he has been on our radar as one of the most naturally talented drivers of his generation and he has delivered on that promise so it’s great to have secured him in one of our cars next season. Renault has high ambitions and hopes for the future of the team and we feel that Robert can play a big role in fulfilling them.” – Team Principal Bob Bell

“I am very happy I will be joining Renault in the 2010 season. I feel I have a special connection with this team because in 2005 I won the World Series by Renault. This gave me the chance to test with the team in Barcelona, which led to my debut in Formula One.

I share with Renault a strong winning mentality and feel comfortable with their friendly and open attitude. I’m highly motivated and optimistic that together we can be at the front of the grid next year and hopefully fighting for the world title.” – Robert Kubica

Robert Kubica in 2002

Robert Kubica in 2002

BMW Sauber team released a thank you message to Kubica:

“Robert played an important role for us – and certainly we did the same for him. He joined us in 2006 as a test driver with no Formula One experience, and then we promoted him to be one of our team’s drivers during that season. He never let us down and, with our first pole position in 2008 in Bahrain and first victory the same year in Canada, he set milestones in the history of our team. We are grateful for his strong and constant performances and wish him all the best for his future.“ – BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen said:

And Robert Kubica thanked BMW Sauber team:

“I’m very thankful to those responsible in the BMW Sauber F1 Team for giving me the chance to get a Formula One cockpit. I think I justified the belief in me by delivering good results. In 2008 I managed to get the first pole position in Bahrain and the first win in Canada. Both will remain unforgettable moments for me. For 2010 I will have a new challenge. I wish everybody I worked with at the BMW Sauber F1 Team all the best for the future. I’m sure in the future our paths will cross in Formula One.”

Photos: BMW Motorsports, Renault/LAT

1. Cruz GonzalezNo Gravatar says:

Am I lost or out updated? What about Renault´s 2 year ban?
    What is going to happen with this team the next year? is someone taking over like Honda this year?

there is no 2 years ban. they are banned from the sport but the ban is suspended for years. that means that if they behave and do nothing wrong in next two years there will be no ban

So that leaves seven seats open for 2010 (six for the new teams and one for BMW).   I am surprised that none of the new teams have inked drivers yet.  There is going to be a shortage of top talent available.

well, there are much more than 7 seats available. There are 4 new teams – Campos, Manor, USF1, Lotus. At the moment the only confirmed drivers are Massa, Alonso (Ferrari), Hamilton (McLaren), Vettel, Webber (Red Bull), Kubica (Renault). Toro Rosso is expected to continue with Buemi and Alguersuari, but that is about it at the moment.

By the way, BMW in their new identity still hasn’t secured a place on the grid next year.

Why have none of the new teams secured drivers?  Is there something in the regs that prohibits them from signing drivers at this time?

Nothing in the regulations, just everybody is waiting for the drivers market to move, perhaps also for the future of BMW Sauber to get sorted out. Too many drivers are out of contracts and available. Some teams and drivers perhaps have made their decisions already but are waiting for the season to end before making any announcements. There is no testing allowed until January anyway.

I thought testing could start at season end.  That does explain why teams do not have their drivers signed.

Do you have any insight as to which of the new teams actually have cars at this point?  Are the new teams allowed to test, or are they also restricted until January.