Sebastian Vettel will start the the Japanese GP from the pole position. Jarno Trulli will line up next to Vettel on the front row. Hamilton and Sutil claimed P3 and P4. Brawn GP drivers Barrichello and Button qualified on P5 and P7 after some strange tactics that only left them with enough time for one timed lap in Q3.
Update: Button, Barrichello, Sutil, Alonso received 5 places grid penalties for their driving under yellow flags following Buemi’s accident. Buemi was also hit with 5 places drop ( and also reprimand). Earlier it was announced that Vitantionio Liuzzi will drop 5 places following gearbox change.
The final session followed the fine tradition set in Q2 – 3 minutes in and red flag caused by Heikki Kovalainen. He walked away OK.
2009 Japanese GP top 10 qualifiers:
1. S. Vettel – Red Bull – 1:32.160
2. J. Trulli – Toyota – 1:32.220
3. L. Hamilton – McLaren – 1:32.395
4. A. Sutil – Force India – 1:32.466
5. R. Barrichello – Brawn GP – 1:32.660
6. N. Heidfeld – BMW Sauber – 1:32.945
7. J. Button – Brawn GP – 1:32.962
8. K. Raikkonen – Ferrari – 1:32.980
9. H. Kovalainen – McLaren – no time
10. S. Buemi – Toro Rosso – no time
The second qualifying session was red flagged twice. The first red flag came after Jaime Alguersuari crashed into the tyre wall. He walked out of the car. It was worse for Timo Glock who crashed shortly after the session resumed. It took about 8 minutes to extract Timo Glock out of the car. He was taken away on stretcher. Only two drivers ITrulli and Raikkonen) managed to post time before the red flag. The session resumed with only little over 7 minutes left. That was not the end of incidents in Q2 – just before the end of the session Mr. Buemi hit the barriers and lost the front wing causing yellow flags. The fastest time of the session belongs to Sebastian Vettel – 1:30.341. Hamilton, Trulli, Button, Raikkonen, Barrichello, Buemi, Sutil, Kovalainen and Heidfeld all made it to Q3.
The drivers eliminated in Q2:
11. N. Rosberg – Williams – 1:31.482
12. F. Alonso – Renault – 1:31.638
13. R. Kubica – BMW Sauber – 1:32.341
14. T. Glock – Toyota – no time
15. J. Alguersuari – Toro Rosso – no time
Sebastian Vettel Was fastest in Q1 with 1:30.883 ahead of Hamilton, Button, Trulli, Buemi, Raikkonen, Barrichello, Rosberg, Sutil, Alonso, Kubica, Kovalainen, Heidfeld, Glock and Alguersuari. Both Toro Rosso cars made it to Q2 … Drivers eliminated in Q1:
16. G. Fisichella – Ferrari – 1:31.704
17. K. Nakajima – Williams – 1:31.718
18. R. Grosjean – Renault – 1:32.073
19. V. Liuzzi – Force India – 1:32.087
20. M. Webber – no time
Mark Webber did not take part in qualifying following his crash in FP3 this morning. Webber will start the race from the pitlane.