2009 Spanish GP – Friday practice

Jenson Button, fastest in practice 1

Jenson Button, fastest in practice 1

It looks like the upgrades are working for Brawn GP. Jenson Button was the fastest man on the track in morning practice for the 2009 Spanish GP, the only driver in 1:21s . Toyota and Williams also seem to keep their good pace. A bit suprisingly perhaps both BMW Sauber cars ended the first practice in top 4. It is still early days though …

Friday Practice 1 times:

15. S. Bourdais – Toro Rosso – 1:23.088
16. G. Fisichella – Force India – 1:23.089
17. F. Alonso – Renault – 1:23.157
18. S. Buemi – Toro Rosso – 1:23.185
19. H. Kovalainen – McLaren – 1:23.522
20. A. Sutil – Force India – 1:23.536

Nico Rosberg was the quickest driver in the afternoon session ahead of his team mate Kazuki Nakajima, Fernando Alonso and Rubens Barrichello.

Friday Practice 2 times:

16. R. Kubica – BMW Sauber – 1:22.948
17. N. Heidfeld – BMW Sauber – 1:23.173
18. T. Glock – Toyota – 1:23.360
19. J. Trulli – Toyota – 1:23.623
20. A. Sutil – Force India – no time

Photo: Bridgestone Motorsports

Incredible! How Kubica placed his car THERE!? They were at the back the whole session and did a giant step in 5 minutes! Ferrari isn’t going bad also, their new revision is the F60B, and they may be proud of it because since now they can expect stable results from it. Toyota, Brawn and Williams keep surprising me, but there is now the question… How much are they still sandbagging? It’s clear that these teams are in good position for this GP, but I’m not so sure about all their possibilities now. Toyota and Brawn are very close in terms of cornering speed and stability, it doesn’t matter how much fuel they load, they’re always fast! The Williams is a step back and only a Qualify without errors would make them perform a great race. McLaren won again the wooden spoon, so many changes in their car and still doesn’t come over the midfield. I would not say the same about the Bulls, but maybe this is an aerodynamics factor, they struggled more than others, so this may reduce to their design concept or just a bad day. Renault is the eternal mediocre car, the team ever manage to make the car faster than it was in relation to the other teams, despite they take profit of an impressive driver as Fernando Alonso is, I would not bet for them now… Yes, Piquet did a better job, but clearly with fuel for 20 curves and maybe fresh tyres.

This “Torero” is standing in front of the “Bull”, this is more dangerous even than the famous ‘Corridas’ hold in Spain. I can’t say what this boy is doing there and what for, but surely he shouldn’t, though it seems he’s helping Vettel to return to the track, all he does is making the way more little for the car between the marshal itself and the wall, and it’s pretty dangerous for the driver and the possibility of colliding towards the wall rise tremendously. DON’T DO THAT EVER!!!

that is not very smart move by the man in the hat …

• JRNo Gravatar says:

Did you guys see the actual video of this or just this photo? I recorded Friday Practice and am watching it now, since I’m at work when Europe has practice. It doesn’t look too bad on video. Vettel had come to a stop and was just taxiing about 5 to 10 mph (I think that’s 8-16 km/h).

well, at least good picture came out of it :-)

• JRNo Gravatar says:

Kotenok will have to tell us about the hat. Looked like Texas to me. I figured George W. Bush had come out of hiding. But maybe that’s Spanish style. You never can tell. Clint Eastwood’s greatest films were filmed in Spain, I believe.

Clint Eastwood’s greatest films were filmed in Spain, I believe.

I think in Italy, at least the director was Italian :-)

• JRNo Gravatar says:

They call them “Spaghetti Westerns” so I would say you are right, but I didn’t think they had deserts in Italy (just desserts).

“The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly”

“For a Few Dollars More”

“A Fistful of Dynamite”

I’ll have to look that up.

Hey! When are you going for your Ferrari ride? You have to take a lot of pictures. If they let you actually drive YOU MUST bring back in car camera footage with telemetrics. The world must see how a normal person deals with these monsters.

You lucky bastard. Congrats.

I am flying on Monday night :-) South Spain sightseeing on Tuesday, fun time on Wednesday :-)

Yeah, I saw the live feed and specially went to watch the repeat later, but I got even more astonished when saw the F1.com’s picture.

The speed is not slow considering the car is going on grass, and then it’s just a matter of finding a bump on the ground for having a drama, I remember how Taki Inoue was hit by the medical car in Hungary 95 after his Footwork’s engine blew up (yes, it looks quite ridiculous), the car’s speed was even slower.
        Personally, I would never do that. When I got instructed as a track marshal, I got a good formation, the same as the man with the hat. And our action rules are clear, never leave the barrier’s protection until the car is fully stopped, think before going out the priority of your actions and always being protected by a flag waved by another marshal. None of these rules was respected…
        Though, we should never forget that these cars even going slow produce big forces of acceleration and deceleration, even if we can’t notice them visually, they’re there physically. We know that these forces are transmitted to another body if both collide, so to prove it we have videos of lots of mechanics flaying towards the floor when the car approached the jack man.

In resume to all that… Playing hero is quite dangerous, and I feel relieved that didn’t happen anything :)

What about the hat? Well, marshals receive advice that take some clothes with us for the possible weather changes, some cap or hat to avoid sunstroke, and even sun protection for getting a perfect sun tan but not burned :) So, this boy chose this kind of hat, and I don’t think that there’s something special about it. Maybe he’s a Clint Eastwood fan HEHE!!
        About the Western movies, here were many westerns and spaghetti -westerns filmed in southern Spain, especially in Almeria, the desert of ‘Tabernas’. Such as “The Good, The Bad And The Ugly” with Clint Eastwood, “The Magnificent Seven” with Steve McQueen, “Lawrence de Arabia” with Peter O’Toole, Omar Sharif and Anthony Quinn, or “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade” with Harrison Ford. In Almeria exists a permanent museum of western films and a kind of theatrical park with activities related to the western America conquerors, there exist huge scenes and villages in the most pure Far West style.

Kotenoks last blog post..Arun is now a member of F1Wolf Club

3. Cruz GonzalezNo Gravatar says:

Someone believes that Alonso could make it in Qualy?
    How many teams are using aero upgrades?

• JRNo Gravatar says:

It depends on what you mean. Super diffuser?

I don’t have the complete answer, but I’ll give you my input. (for Catalunya versus Bahrain)

Ferrari, BMW, and Toro Rosso

But there is no proven super-diffuser changes from what I’ve heard and seen.

The Ferrari is a lighter, different “tub” and chassis – F60″B” (-10 to 15 lbs reportedly)
      They are reportedly putting Kimi in the lighter of the two this weekend because Kimi is heavier (all that ice cream).

BMW has a completely different nose.

I don’t know about Toro Rosso, I am just parroting what the commentators said. Buemi also had a massive rear-brake fire in Friday P2.

• JRNo Gravatar says:

Too early to tell. The car was not that good P1, P2. Need to see Sat P1.

I would doubt it, But it is Spain, It is Renault, he was very good last week in qualy, no? – and it is Alonso. He is a world two-time world champion.

Plus everybody in the world except Hamilton loves him, what am I gonna say? … I am getting tired of Brawn.