The power of F1 blogging ?

Last night a story appeared at Autosport.com – FIA requests BBC’s Whitmarsh tapes. Still in Melbourne Martin Whitmarsh had something to say about the Hamilton/Trulli incident to BBC TV and radio reporters. And that something somehow does not seem to mix well with his later statements regarding Dave Ryan’s actions. This part of the Autosport story it caught my eye:

The FIA has been alerted to the presence of these interviews and wants the BBC to supply any evidence that it believes will be helpful to its investigation.

I am not sure how exactly has FIA been alerted to the presence of these interviews. But first time I read anything about this was over at doctorvee’s blog and later at James Allen’s blog when he elaborated on doctorvee’s comment below one his earlier posts.

It is nice to think that observations of F1 blogger may have made it all the way to the top … And even if the alert came from some other source, still, good job doctorvee for picking that up probably before anybody else did !

1. In Formula 1, as in Politics, it seems Bloggers are the stars in the ascent. This new wave of Free Press has little rules and nothing to hold them back.

Total Freedom of the press has become a reality. But it leads me to one conundrum

Freedom of the Press = Freedom to Oppress?

But our influence is growing, and there seems no stopping us – yet!

Nick Gilmartins last blog post..Presenting the Queens of Burlesque

If we be closer and enter easily to the private scenes of the F1, I would talk of real freedom, until now we have to be happy with our own opinion and thoughts, our instinct to take truth out from a rumor and the quality of the news from other journalists… Even if F1 teams dedicate much of their efforts to be in touch with their fans and the world through their press department and PR management, that’s not enough for compile much of the information, and there’s much an F1 blogger can’t cover himself/herself thanks to these barriers… But I should say the barriers are set mainly to confidentiality and safety means :P I can’t imagine what would do F1 “maniacs” if they could sneak into the paddock easily, go through the garages with no problem or being easy to picture or film the machinery inside, as having easy access to the drivers, mechanics or directors, and they should answer to any of our questions!! We’re still far, but getting closer HEHEHE :)

Kotenoks last blog post..F1Wolf added a video

Nice to know that there’s some power behind this :) Let’s see what we will become, next overtaking work group? Or next FIA presindent candidates!?

It is contrasted, an F1 blogger knows much more about F1 than TV hosts itself, and professional journalists around F1 in common news sources.

Kotenoks last blog post..F1Wolf added a video

well, I would not say that blogger knows more than professional journalist, but depends who you consider professional. there are many I respect a lot, and some of them even more since they started blogging themselves

I believe that even Steve Slater, who is really bad as TV commentator knows great deal more about F1 than most of us fans, the problem is, he can’t follow the action as it happens …

3. SarahNo Gravatar says:

Well, even the video that FOM got to prove the Tulli incident was from a private videographer that was on youtube…the power of the online world grows

It may be just my feeling, I consider some of them great journalists, but there are only few. Like good wines, almost limited edition and advanced in years. It’s rather unusual that a young buddy surprises me with it’s knowoledge about the topic, they use to be bloggers or dedicate part of their time to website edition. My view from Spain is that many experts usually dedicate their time to sports in general and not simply to journalism around F1 or some other motorsports. And some serious motorsports experts dedicate their time to rule something.

I’m not entirely satisfied with the content published in Spain in newspapers, Internet sites or specialized magazines, and TV is getting a very narrow angle towards F1, because of the need of making the locals the only heroes of the story. They stick to rumors without caring if they could be a burning iron, believing in them as they found out the Philosopher’s Stone and spread them. Even prestigious magazines as F1 Racing count with such journalists which are unable to write something with sense, that may be just bad luck because the F1 Racing’s publishing rights were sold to a Spanish publisher, the editor changed and also many of the journalists inside. In TV things are getting no better, the content is very extensive, but the quality still low… TV hosts still need the appearance of people attached to the F1 as Pedro Martinez de la Rosa or Marc Gene, and that’s a big plus, because usually the TV hosts are unable to explain what’s happening… As you say, not able to tell the action, but going further, they use to mistake historical data or even invent it :P But I’m looking forward that things change when they gain expirience and looking for more professional people.

These men are in another level :) They’re true professionals, which dedicated all their efforts to inform and very well about motorsports since ages! I can’t say I read them often, but I do sometimes… They’re a good example for me to think twice, but here is a big lack of somebody which knows what is talking about, takes care on the way which is told and doesn’t confuse you with over excitement. I’m talking about Spanish panorama, which lacks this quality. That’s why I’m still disappointed.

Returning to bloggers, I told it several times already that there’s somebody beyond, the post’s information come generally from other sources, it is contrasted and edited by a point of view which usually is very critic about what is going to be published, and I like this. Moreover, the possibilities to leave my own opinion and surf more detailed information about some news reports in a friendly way, that’s all the good which I value a lot in F1 webglogs, and we all know that this is plenty of work to make it done :)

Kotenoks last blog post..F1Wolf added a video

5. bmwf1guyNo Gravatar says:

I like to think that this is true. Blogging is powerful these days and over here in North America, bloggers have their place in press boxes now.

bmwf1guys last blog post..International Court of Appeal – Double Decker Diffusers Legal

6. JRNo Gravatar says:

Nice blog, BMWGuy. I’ll add that to my list. I promise I won’t comment. Not this year. I get too political.

7. JRNo Gravatar says:

I picked you up last year. My TV was out or something so I was looking for a livebolg and you were running one.

I picked up the service for my own blog the next week or so to deal with the Presidential debates.

I highly recommend you do live blogs during the races. That’s how people find you is during the races.

I would bet that if you keep covering things the way you do, you will double or triple your audience this year.

You are very good.

8. JourneyerNo Gravatar says:

“A visitor to Allen’s site alleged that a BBC interview with the McLaren team principal, Martin Whitmarsh, left, provided evidence that he was aware of the disputed circumstances at the Melbourne grand prix that have landed McLaren in trouble. Following the blogger’s revelation, the FIA has asked for transcripts of the Whitmarsh interview from the BBC.”

Nuff said. ;)