Mr. Briatore can’t really be serious, or is he ? – Updated

Flavio Briatore

Flavio Briatore

Flavio Briatore (as probably everybody else) does not like loosing. But I think his remarks on the current situation in Formula 1 went a bit too far …

“The drivers in our teams have been and are world champions, while the championship is now fought between a driver who was almost retired and another one who is a good guy but a paracarro (Italian saying for being as slow as a milepost at the side of a road). I don’t know where credibility has ended up with all this. To make up the gap we have to those teams is impossible.”

In three or four grands prix, the title will be already decided, and I can’t see what interest TV and spectators can have in seeing a race when Button has 60 points, [Kazuki] Nakajima 50, and someone else 80: it’s better to listen to a race like that on the radio, and watch anything but that.”(from Autosport.com)

Where the credibility has ended up ? Well, the drivers with best cars are fighting it at the front, the others needing some luck on their side to get to podium or points, same as always.

Does he want to say that season 2005, when a young driver in a car that was neither Ferrari, McLaren or Williams won the championship was not credible ?

Is there somewhere a law specifying what teams and drivers can go on to win races and fight for championships ?

Well, last year the excuse was the Renault engine, this year it is the diffuser … Why he simply can’t admit that some other teams did better job reading the rule book ?

Update:

It did not take too long for Button and Barrichello to react :

Jenson Button:

“Unless he is at the front of F1, I am sure [he thinks] any team [being there] hurts the credibility of F1,” Button told reporters in Shanghai.

“He also needs to remember that he tried to employ me for this year, so…”

“He is obviously a very angry man after the diffuser issues and he is obviously very disappointed that they haven’t produced a car that is as competitive as ours. We have produced a very competitive car because of the work force we have back at Brackely and you cannot take it away from them – it is very unfair to say that.”

“They have worked very, very hard in very difficult circumstances and it is very, very unfair for Flavio to comment as he has just because he is a little bit bitter – he should also not forget he tried to employ me for this season.”

Rubens Barrichello:

“I think that is stupid. Really. What a comment. If we all think that we need Ferrari and McLaren to win, why are the others here?

“I really think that because we have a white car and some people are not able to go as fast as us….this is what is good about the sport. They are trying to make the same engine for everybody…so do you think Ferrari is always going to be on top?

“There are plenty of good people in the paddock and plenty of bad losers.”

1. nieuweNo Gravatar says:

Isn’t that a bit arrogant ? Most owners would be sayin. “Well We got caught out and maybe we can play catch up. Keep watchin because it will be a tight comp.” No he says STOP WATCHING because it’s boring. Because no red car wins… WHO CARES!!! never liked ferrari anyway!

well, but then he would have to admit that they got caught 2nd year in a row – last year they in Renault failed to explore the loopholes in engine regs and lost the ground to other F1 engines. still remember him complaining how they are loosing only because they followed the rules while the others were exploting the rule finding the extra horsepower

2. Sour grapes I think.

One positive conclusion for the diffuser situation is that innovation if F1 is still welcomed.

I know it was a long time ago but remind me Flavio, which team introduced the turbo-charged engine?

Steve Robertsons last blog post..Start of the F1 Season on the Radio

3. TimmieNo Gravatar says:

Flavio can’t help but act like an old man these past two years can he?

I like how he uses the excuse that we are spending too much money and that we would never fit under Mosleys proposed budget cap. What has that got to do with this year!?!

Briatore seems to want to create issues because Renault no longer have the top staff or the best designers. His sour grapes all stem from (as i have said before) the Mass Damper issue. They had a system that no one else had and it worked great and got them to the front pretty quick. It got banned (though i believe it shouldn’t have been) and then since that day Briatore whines complains and acts like a child (or a senile old man) everytime someone develops something that is innovative or works with the rules better than what they have got.

All i can say is grow up, hire a better second driver (though he won’t because that’s probably the only reason he still has Alonso because the second driver will never challenge him) and get on with the racing and read the rule book and make your own innovations to catch up and win some races!

4. JRNo Gravatar says:

“Briatore attended his first Formula One race, the Australian Grand Prix, in 1988, having in the past proclaimed his lack of interest in the sport. Luciano Benetton appointed him commercial director of his Formula One team, Benetton Formula Ltd. (formerly Toleman), and when he fired the team management shortly thereafter, Briatore was promoted to managing director and set about turning Benetton into a competitive team.”
    -wikipedia

This means I’ve got more experience in F1 than he does.

Maybe Briatore is just burnt-out with the impossibility of refute the events :P Yesterday Barrichello himself just replied to some of Briatore’s ‘smart’ quotes “we know already who will be the champion this season … one was going to pension off (Rubens Barrichello) and the other one was almost retired (Jenson Button)”, so it was translated here or he declared different opinions to different sources :) Barrichello when was being asked about it, just responded with a huge guffaw with “I think he talks too much!”. But I agree, and I think he is… Come-on!! Which needs do you have to give up when even didn’t begin! All what the team needs is support and pulling from it as always, but to center his attention in a lost battle is not what everybody expects from him…

Kotenoks last blog post..F1Wolf added a video

6. IncabulosNo Gravatar says:

I somewhat agree with Mr. Briatore.

And the reason why, is that some of the teams presented the “diffuser gang” solution prior to this season, but they were told that it was illegal.

Now the solution has been deemed legal by FIA, and that leaves the team, without the better solution, trailing.

Fair enough that some teams develop better, or different solutions, but FIA need to stcik with their original call.

As of now, some teams will have to throw in a lot of money to develop a new diffuser solution, and if I recall last season we were talking about minimizing cost/spending in F1, and reducing cornerspeed (once again), etc.

So my point being, We either have the same regulations for all teams, or we don’t…. Right now, we don’t have the same regulations, because FIA sadly decided otherwise.

we do not really know what sort of solutions the teams presented so it is hard to to judge. but the legality of Williams and Toyota was questioned right from the beginning, they received their OK quickly. the other teams should have go and work flat out on their new solutions then … instead they focused on filing protests in Australia and Malaysia hoping for the diffusers to be banned …

Max Mosley, February 5th:

“It will always happen when you have got new regulations.

“The current FIA view is that Williams and Toyota have been clever and have exploited the wording of the rules in a clever way. But somebody may challenge it and the stewards may take a different view – it could happen.

“It is a curious idea in a way – where you are not allowed two surfaces, you have a surface and then something that is not a surface because it is unsprung. The view on our technical people is that it is okay, we will wait and see if someone challenges it.”

7. Arun SriniNo Gravatar says:

All he is saying is that the cars with double diffusers is having a load of advantage than have nots and so the title will be decided between those teams, and also taking a bash at the entire Formula 1 just because he was duped by Mr. ‘Ironfist’ MAX.
    Had he not been a chicken and gone to Max asking
    ‘Sir, we have this idea, is this ok? please let us know, your word is final, even in technicals, since you are the god’
    max : ‘ no, it aint legal’ (hehe i’m gonna get new winners, more viewers and drama),
    flavio : ‘ok my Lord, we won’t put them on our cars’,
    but actually had balls and went ahead with the idea, he’d have been much happier with his latest wife,swimming in romantic pools, overtakng the reds and mclarans, and not issuing mindless unneeded commentary.
    Thats what I can understand from this stupid article. Nothin about ‘only reds can win F1, or the world will go into darkness’ Mr. nieuwe, please lay off the ‘i am cool since I hate ferrari’ theme that seems to be catching the supposidly ‘intelligent’ F1 fans in the world.
    If you think Ferrari’s politics won them , get yourself a good insider into FOM and get your stuff done. Don’t be a baby. Doing de facto stuff will get you to better part than being de jure.
    Mr. Schumacher is the best, and I will stand by it. By the way, I also love Hakkinen and Prost driving.

did not take long for Button and Barrichello to react :-) :

Jenson Button:

“He also needs to remember that he tried to employ me for this year, so…”

Rubens Barrichello:

“There are plenty of good people in the paddock and plenty of bad losers.”

9. IncabulosNo Gravatar says:

Agreeing more and more with Mr. Briatore…

How come no one pays attention to what Mr. Briatore is saying? Doesn’t he have a point, when he says:
    “Just when there’s talk of setting a budget cap to 30 million, we’ve spent 15m for KERS and 10m more for the diffusers. We’re left with five to travel and to pay the employees.”

yes, the teams can decide for themselves how to spend their money, in order to produce a competive car, but this is just plan ridiculous…

The spirit of the rule was to reduce the corner speed, but with these diffusers we have a new situation where we are going for increase in cornering speed…

Mr. Button:

Where does anyone say that it is otherwise?

Rubens Barrichello:

Where, by the way, does Mr. Briatore mention Ferrari or McLaren?

• PhoebeNo Gravatar says:

Similarly, I agree with Mr. Briatore. I’m not really sure what exactly happened but from what I gather, the diffusers were originally deemed illegal when some teams presented it, even before the season started. And now, it is declared legal. I think it is rather unfair for the rest. It’s not like they were oblivious to the loopholes, but rather they chose not to use that concept coz it’s illegal.

I think the change to declare those diffusers legal were just to avoid the huge hassle of having to decide how the winners would have to be “re-determined” for the past 2 races, what with the mclaren “lying” case still “pending settlement”

Additionally, just to add a personal comment, I feel its pretty weird to see new winners during the post race conference (not that it’s not good). Probably because I’m used to the Ferraris and Mclarens being on the podium, with Alonso showing up more than occasionally to foil their plans.

Anyway, if some driver other than those from the usual teams have won, then he probably deserved it some way or another. There should be more sportsmanship. It’s always better to receive congrats for winning then to receive criticism saying you won it unfairly. So, probably they should keep the arguments between the teams and leave the drivers alone? Especially since the dispute is on the car itself.

Afterall, if the driver’s not good, then he’ll still crash the fastest car on the grid, legal or not.

I concur that the diffuser issue has forced an escalation of spending by teams to compete. While I love it that Brawn has done so well because it solidifies their position this year, and encourages other teams to continue on…this is completely contrary to the intent of the new rules.

It also opens the door to other enhancements which will allow the big spenders (Ferrari, McLaren, Toyota) to once again dominate the sport, leaving everyone else fighting for their leftovers.

We shouldn’t take these teams which produced this year’s cars with marvelous speed deceitful, as cheaters or whatever… Seems that people doesn’t see that this polemic shouldn’t go with any of the teams which developed their solution with a double decker diffusers! I’m angry, yes, because the reaction to all that is excessive. Some do not see what truth is, the technical rules omitted the spot which they some found, they’ve been checked and successfully passed through technical controls, and later stewards, FIA and even juries from the appeal court decided in favor of these teams. What they’ve done wrong?
    Actually they did their job, design and produce a car with the resources they had and within the budget parameters they had, and completely legal if you look the regulations as they were before and now, most of them invested more than 1 year of work in it. The people within these teams have their expectations to become champions as everyone, and their fans have been waiting ages for that stumble which turns upside down the championship in their benefit.

If someone has something to argue, that may be these ones who also wanted to build in such device… I understand their frustration, but if they do not have them nowadays, there will be a reasonable explanation, as they didn’t fit the regulations as the debated diffusers mounted on the BGP001, FW31 and TF109. Why all this controversy? If goes against the intentions or the pursuit of having less downforce for lower cornering speeds and spending less money? No as I think, the rules limited the downforce already, front and rear wings are standardized, no appendixes on the bodywork, no gulls for heating efficiency and aerodynamical performance. That and some other less important facts as the work in wind tunnel and testing affect this downforce limitation. But it’s wrong to say that they should be banned to invest in other areas to better the aerodynamical performance for more grip, where is it written in the rules?
    As far I know, there’s an automatic budget cap due the financial trouble of some teams, and there’s another budget cap settled by the FIA decision to lower astronomical costs for inadequate money spending. These cars can be build surely with much less money, and they will still be the most advanced cars in the world. Money has been spent lately as fuel in races, developing 101 items to test them in the wind tunnel if simply could have an application on track, or producing minimal variations in the power train for testing the results in the engine bench, and I think this is not needed for such little differences in lap times, but worse of all that is that evolution turned to a day after day job, when there’re only 17 races a year! Now, let me say that within the budget everyone chose how much to spend, they should know how they want to spend the money and what for they do it, if these ones like Domenicali or Briatore argue that working in these diffusers goes against the ideas of cutting costs because will create enormous spends, I’m not sure what to say, even so they use to burn every coin they have to evolve the cars as I meant before, there’s no difference because they would spend it likewise and don’t matter what.

12. RivfaderBotiNo Gravatar says:

First of all excuse me for my english! (From Hungary)

I think that problems start from FIA. They don’t give a clear wiev of the plands and regulations. Than again I don’t agree with Mr. Briatore. He is probably a smart man and he has an ability to see who is going to be a champion and who is going to be ,just, a driver eg: Michael Schumacher, Fernando Alonso. BUT! He should’nt blame others with such words. The people at Brawn GP started to work on the car last year(I think) and they are capable to build a winning car. Renault was world chapmion in 2005 and nobody(wery few) people had in there mind after the first race( Fisichella win) oh Renault is going to be champion. Renault had 3teams and now has 1. It’s amaising what they have done in 2005 and 2006 but now in the past 2(3) year they were just crying. It’s a good team with a good driver(Alonso). Mr. Briatore should reorganise the team and he shoul stay steady and remain calm like Mr. Raikkonen:P. In F1 one everybody is a professional and all of the drivers could be champions(exept the ones which have places because money). Barichello was the best 2nd driver in F1 history! If he would have been at Renault he may have helpd Alonso. Barichello realised how is it going(I think he would deserv a couple of champion titles). If Jenson wins this year the title than he deservs it. He stayed at Honda and work’d hard and didn’t complain! He just pushed hard and he deservs the title more than anybody. Sometimes he was driving the worst car in the field. But he had his mouth closed and he just done his work. Mr. Briatore! I don’t get good grades all the time in school but that doesn’t mean that I’m an idiot or that I’m not smart enough. Renault needs a calm man like Jean Todt and I would put Briatore to search for talents but not as a team principal. Oh and I want to say that F1Wolf is my great;) I like it:P CONGRATULATIONS!

Don’t get me wrong…the diffuser was ruled as within the rules and Brawn, Williams, and Toyota are not cheaters. They found a way to exploit an aerodynamic advantage within (their intrepretation) of the rules.

For as long as I have followed F1, these things have been happening. I remember clearly about a decade ago when traction control was outlawed, but a hole in the rules allowed teams to create a new traction control by causing the engines to misfire upon slip.

The problem is that these holes are making it so that teams will benefit from spending huge sums of money exploiting holes in the rules which are clearly beyond the intent. Attorneys are deciding the fate of F1. This same thing also happens in the other sport I follow – sailing – and The America’s Cup. The Cup is now being decided in the court room, and enthusiast is paying the price.

The only way around this is to invoke rules similar to Indy Car with spec car bodies, engines, etc… are provided and the best teams are the ones who set up the cars best and perform best on race day. Unfortunately, F1 is a series that was founded on inovation, and using spec parts is contrary to that foundation.

So here we are, another year where a team has found a way to exploit the rules and is going to run away with the championship. At least this year its not Ferrari, McLaren or Renault.

14. Chris BellNo Gravatar says:

Flavio has always made me laugh with his comments but if i remember rghtly Renault werent exactly performing well before they won th 2 championships and havnt exactly done much since. I honestly think that Brawn GP fighting for the championship is good for F1. I dont think Flavios comments will do any damage as all they wil do is either fall on deaf ears or if someone does listen they will just laugh at him

15. ACNo Gravatar says:

Well you can’t argue that Barrichello was not almost retired and that Button was not a speed bump last year! :o)

What drama queens, Briatore was pulling their leg but of course they took it seriously. I’d love to see either of the Brawn drivers get a Renault into second place today…

• JRNo Gravatar says:

whatever. The Renault’s are obviously better cars than last year’s Hondas if we can use your take on things.

Barrichello is a world class driver. You can’t argue Briatore tried to hire Button this year. They are the 20 best drivers in the world. Get over it. Even Sutil and Fisichella.

The only person who doesn’t belong in this sport is Briatore. He is an insurance salesman who knows nothing about the sport and rode in on the coattails of Schumacher.

Contrary to popular belief, he has nothing to do with Ferrari. This is an oversight by some illiterate Europeans.