Lewis Hamilton and McLaren team excluded from results of Australian GP – Update – First casualty in McLaren

Lewis Hamilton disqualified from Australian GP

Lewis Hamilton disqualified from Australian GP

Lewis Hamilton has been disqualified from the Australian Grand Prix and excluded from the results. Jarno Trulli’s 25 sec penalty has been rescinded and so Trulli keeps the 3rd place he achieved on track.

Both drivers were summoned to meet the stewards in Malaysia this morning following new evidence regarding their behaviour behind the safety car. The new evidence suggested that Hamilton might have mislead the Australian GP stewards. After hearing out both drivers again the stewards decided the way they decided.

A statement issued by the stewards:

“The Stewards having considered the new elements presented to them from the 2009 Australian Formula One Grand Prix, consider that driver No 1 Lewis Hamilton and the competitor Vodafone McLaren Mercedes acted in a manner prejudicial to the conduct of the event by providing evidence deliberately misleading to the Stewards at the hearing on Sunday 29th March 2009, a breach of Article 151c of the International Sporting Code.

Under Article 158 of the International Sporting Code the driver No 1 Lewis Hamilton and the competitor Vodafone McLaren Mercedes are excluded from the race classification for the 2009 Australian Grand Prix and the classification is amended accordingly.”

Jarno Trulli following the stewards decision:

“I am happy because I just wanted some justice, and I am happy I got it. I am happy for myself, for the team – and I have to thank the FIA because it does not happen very often that they reconsider something. It must have been really hard for them, but they had common sense to really try and understand what was going on. I have been always honest and it has paid off.”

We did not appeal. We did not do anything, and I did not make any further comments. I think the FIA was clever enough to understand the situation. They had a very busy end of the race, with so many accidents, and they now had a bit more evidence to understand the case. So they wanted to hear us again, and it just confirmed what happened in Australia as I didn’t change my statement. That is it. I don’t know what made them change their mind.”

This means that all the top 3 teams in 2008 Constructors Championship are without any points after round 1 of 2009 F1 season.

Update: McLaren had suspended their sporting director Dave Ryan for his role in the Melbourne stewards fiasco:

“In my 20-odd years working for McLaren, I doubt if I’ve met a more dedicated individual than Davey,” said team principal Martin Whitmarsh. “He’s been an integral part of McLaren since 1974 and has played a crucial role in the team’s many World Championship successes since that time. However, his role in the events of last Sunday, particularly his dealings with the FIA stewards, has caused serious repercussions for the team, for which we apologise. Therefore, I suspended him this morning and he has accepted this.”

Photo: F1Wolf

1. psychyNo Gravatar says:

this is surprising. but if mcm really tried to fool the stewards and the FIA then I guess it’s ok… still a hard decision.

well, I am glad Trulli got his 3rd place back as his penalty looked a bit unfair. but I think we will only be able to judge the fairness of the penalty to McLaren and Hamilton after FIA releases the radio transcripts

2. vectraNo Gravatar says:

I dont think they were harsh enough,
    They should have also imposed a 2 or 3 race ban on Mclaren and its drivers for Lying to the FIA and also to start cheating again

I really don’t care how they managed to fool or hide evidences in this case, it’s not unknown that in F1 this is something which all good strategies have, but this maybe went a bit too far again, right decission maybe to leave the results as they were, well not for the Woking guys.
    I don’t think it’s wrong to decide sometimes the results in the office, but it’s rather confusing when you’ve seen one thing on live but later comes the change, it should be considered to make a fast review before some podium or maybe organize a drivers talk to argue the unclear events with stewards or present formal protests. That would change much how we see F1 especialy in TV. Not dynamic as now, but it’s true that we almost don’t have time to cheer a victory with the drivers, because they are being almost pushed into the garages or the podium, and just after giving us what we want, their joy, they’re pushed into the press conference room. Amazing how Milos managed to run about 1km in about 1min to stand in front of the trophies deliver, Ii think that it’s clear what I mean. But that’s another talk boys :)

Happy that the Toyota engine is reliable and fast, and that the double deck diffusers are working that well, in Williams the expectations may be high this season :) let’s see how others evolve and the events towards the technical regulations follow in the next month.

4. bmwf1guyNo Gravatar says:

I heard the radio transmissions and they were telling. I’m not sure why the denial of orders to let Trulli pass. Lewis denied it in his media interview and it is pretty clear in the transmissions and told the stewards the same thing. How could they not get called on for that when it was out there for everyone to hear.

bmwf1guys last blog post..Looking Ahead to Sepang for the BMW Sauber Team

FIA statement:

“During the hearing, held approximately one hour after the end of the race, the Stewards and the Race Director questioned Lewis Hamilton and his Team Manager David Ryan specifically about whether there had been an instruction given to Hamilton to allow Trulli to overtake. Both the driver and the team manager stated that no such instruction had been given. The race director specifically asked Hamilton whether he had consciously allowed Trulli to overtake. Hamilton insisted that he had not done so.”

Radio transcript:

Team: Lewis, you need to allow the Toyota through. Allow the Toyota through now.

LH: OK.

LH: He’s slowed right down in front of me.

Team: OK, Lewis. Stay ahead for the time being. Stay ahead. We will get back to you. We are talking to Charlie.

LH: I let him past already.

Team: OK, Lewis. That’s fine. That’s fine. Hold position. Hold position.

There is nothing wrong in letting Trulli pass, but by denying that in front stewards they simply blamed Trulli for something he did not do. And that makes no sense to me… What were they thinking ? Or were they thinking at all ?

6. OsamaNo Gravatar says:

does this change the results of round 1 of predictions game?

no, as in the past, I use the race results as they stand at end of Sunday. Appeals etc may affect the F1 championship, but FIA has no authoriity over our little game here :-)

7. OsamaNo Gravatar says:

Ok, I agree with your way wolf :)
    Anyways, now I know how to calculate my points, as it wasn’t matching my calculations earlier but after ur clarifications, it does :)

D’ouh!! :) HAHA! Could be a sprinter :P I thought that the main straight was longer, however you may catch what I meant. That all is looking too much forced, actually don’t know if my complains are wrong… It may be so for some reason, reasons like the teams need to set next destiny as soon as possible, they begin to dismante everything in few hours for being on time in their logistics, so maybe that’s all right… But I still feel it not good enough.

9. Nic B 205No Gravatar says:

Hey F1Wolf,

Does this mean you have to update the Prediction game results for round 1?
    BTW, I’m in the results twice. I changed my mind and ended up putting my final choice against the proper round 1 post.
    Keep up the good work.