2009 Malaysian GP – Race result – Button wins again

2009 Malaysian GP - Red flag with 23 laps to go

2009 Malaysian GP - Red flag with 23 laps to go

The predicted tropical rain has arrived and … spoiled the race. After few changes between wet and intermediate tyres the heavy rain arrived and the race was red flagged with 23 laps to go. Jenson Button won the second race in the row, ahead of Timo Glock and Nick Heidfeld. Button also scored a hattrick of pole position, fastest lap and the race win. However as the race ended before 75% of the full race distance, only half the poits will be awarded. Moving the race start to 5pm was not that smart idea after all …

Race result:

19. R. Kubica – BMW Sauber + 55 lap
20. H. Kovalainen – McLaren + 56 lap

Fastest lap: Jenson Button – 1:36.641

Two wins out of two for Jenson Button and Brawn GP

Two wins out of two for Jenson Button and Brawn GP

Photos: Bridgestone Motorsports

1. Which ever way Brawn look at it, Button has scored maximum points.

I have a feeling they’ll start the race a couple of hours earlier next year.

Steve Robertsons last blog post..Start of the F1 Season on the Radio

Question: if the victory system went on its imposition, could the race leader have a HALF-win??? How is it possible that they seek to set this new scoring system? Obviously a winner is always a winner, and would be rather unfair to value he’s incomplete work that much.

Kotenoks last blog post..F1Wolf added a video

3. JRNo Gravatar says:

“spoiled the race”

With all due respect, We were expecting this. I was hoping for it. It in someways forced the gamble of Raikkonen. Done a lap or two later he may have won. Tires are of major importance. If I had any say, I would recommend a “super”-wet tire or even an amphibious-tire.

Rain is part of life and F1 needs to set the standard.

And lighting is also the same. I recommend moving this race and Ausralia to be moved forward a half hour next year to force twilight conditions even more.

Cheers to Webber for taking the lead for the drivers during the red-flag period and special thanks to Button for bringing his engineer to the podium. What a great race.

What a great community F1 is.

4. JRNo Gravatar says:

So does this mean half-points in our prediction game ? :)

5. JRNo Gravatar says:

I’d kill for a photo (the video appeared on speed channel) of Kimi eating an ice cream bar behind his pit area in shorts and a Ferrari polo during the red-flag session.

Question 2: How is it possible that after all, being the race winner is rewarded with a lower difference towards the 2nd classified and the rest of drivers in the points, simply getting half of the points when not exceeding the 75% of the race makes automatically everybody over 1st gets a benefit being much closer in the driver’s World Championship table (by one point, or higher as the score achieved gets lower) except those ones scoring 0.5 (Rosberg). How is it possible?

Here’s an example of the situation affecting the drivers results table:

a) If the race develops in normal conditions and is fully raced or raced over the 75% of the distance:

1. Jenson Button +10 points / Total 20 points
    2. Rubens Barrichello + 4 points / Total 12 points (difference to leader 8 points)
    3. Jarno Trulli + 5 points / Total 11 points (difference to leader 9 points)

b) Results as they developed in the Malaysian GP 2009:

1. Jenson Button +5 points / Total 15 points
    2. Rubens Barrichello + 2 points / Total 10 points (difference to leader 5 points)
    3. Jarno Trulli + 2.5 points / Total 8.5 points (difference to leader 6.5 points)

Relative to this version of points -giving today, I feel there gain by the leader is significant lower.

Kotenoks last blog post..F1Wolf added a video

well no matter how we look at it, win today was worth only 5 points …

Yup :) Can’t say I’m unhappy with the results, the race itself was very exciting and full of action. Disappointed with what happened to Rosberg yes, he lost the most of all maybe, but this not due the point system applied today, due the strategy which the team followed :S But almost everybody has mistaken the strategy this weekend HAHA

Kotenoks last blog post..Kotenok updated their profile

But almost everybody has mistaken the strategy this weekend HAHA

yes, almost everybody, but the best ones were at Ferrari … Massa’s qualifying, then Raikkonen’s wet tyres on dry track … no wonder they have 0 points after two races. When it came to strategy, Ferrari used to be almost foolproof, now they are foolish … where is Ross Brawn ? oh, well, he is busy winning races :-) but not for Ferrari any more

• JRNo Gravatar says:

This is a long, long season.

China is next, quick up in two weeks.

But remember – China just happened. It was late last season. But it is fresh in the teams’ minds.

As always, I pray for rain.

• JRNo Gravatar says:

@Kotenok -

Your question is very complicated.

Let me suggest this – your “a)” results would never have happened in a 56 lap race. Button would not have won. Kimi Raikkonen or Rosberg would have (possibly). The supposed superiority of Brawn could have been squelched. Rosberg, Trulli, and several others are true contenders. Vettel could have won this race. It was the rain that killed him on a freak spin where he stalled…

The Brawn superiority is a figment of the imagination. The F1 season is a long one, Barrichello is clearly a great driver. His years in F1 prove that. But his car isn’t necessarily that great.

Look at what they were saying before the race. “Rain makes it a lottery.” That happened. It’s a crap shoot, Brother.

My regret was only about the points system applied in the case the 75% of the grand prix isn’t raced. We saw it for 4 times in the history only (including today), but I guess every time that happened, some kind of wild discussion because of that happened… Even I suspect that not everybody may be happy with the results today. In other hand, I think that everybody may be happy for having stopped the race and later suspended it.

What I don’t like in this scoring is simple to explain, it’s not really fair the proportion of points that each driver receives, even if they receive just the half of points which use to get. The explanation is just mathematic, it’s known by everybody that a large number divided by 2 decrease more than a little number divided by 2. So it’s more extreme the division on the score of first place, 10 points, than the one which ends in eighth place, rewarded with a single point. Also I’m not fully happy with the differences on the points, the first classified always lose the points margin which prime his triumph.

Other results than these which we had are suggestion and speculation, as the ending results only will be like they have been today. I can’t regret about what happened :) Moreover it has been a really exciting race, but I pity that it ended so fast… Anyway, it left us some funny images at the end, and the feeling that the FIA stewards sometimes don’t have common sense and are too slow. The ending solution of driving behind the safety car is the same as just ending the race, the only difference are driver’s strategies which could still need to stop one more time to refuel and that would send them to the back, but maybe could have the opportunity to set the fastest lap :P So there was no need to make it so long to finish the race, that’s only wrong for spectators (but they know where they have gone, which conditions use to be there and that unpredicted events can always happen), for me it was obvious that the present conditions couldn’t allow more racing even if the track surprisingly dried in few minutes, there wasn’t enough light for some more “theatre”.

Ending my opinion view, I’d like to say that I liked the rebirth of Honda as Brawn GP, but I truly don’t support them :P They could fail to win this GP or do a new massacre as they did in Melbourne. Anyway, it’s unlikely that they win so easily in every GP, someday the results may change or we can finally say that Ross Brawn is touched by the had of “God”.

Kotenoks last blog post..Kotenok added 2 photos

• JRNo Gravatar says:

“We saw it for 4 times in the history only (including today), but I guess every time that happened, some kind of wild discussion because of that happened”

What were the other three times, Brother?

Me and You are sitting on History. There was no wild discussion those times, because there was no F1Wolf and no internet.

WE make the rules now and the discussion. me and You. Don’t underestimate Yourself. You as a fan are as important as the Engineers.

• JRNo Gravatar says:

“The explanation is just mathematic, it’s known by everybody that a large number divided by 2 decrease more than a little number divided by 2. So it’s more extreme the division on the score of first place, 10 points, than the one which ends in eighth place, rewarded with a single point. Also I’m not fully happy with the differences on the points, the first classified always lose the points margin which prime his triumph.”

I hear you. Should have been done more on a percentage basis. That’s correct. But OPEC does this with their quotas and it still doesn’t solve anything.

But wait til after China. It won’t seem like anything. It’s a long season. There will be more penalties and whatnot.

7. JRNo Gravatar says:

“I can’t regret about what happened Moreover it has been a really exciting race, but I pity that it ended so fast… Anyway, it left us some funny images at the end, and the feeling that the FIA stewards sometimes don’t have common sense and are too slow. The ending solution of driving behind the safety car is the same as just ending the race”

Totally agree. F1 needs to have a better set of rules regarding rain. They don’t deal with it because they figure it is so rare. Malaysia will be the clue. Personally, I think cars should be bulit like boats or not race in Malaysia.

8. JRNo Gravatar says:

This is a great country and a great track (as good as Spa) – so I think the cars should be built like boats.

the problem is not Malaysia but the timing. Yes, the track is in the tropics, but until now there was only one seriously wet race at Sepang – 2001.

But, I have been to that race 3 times. And almost every time, almost every day (Friday to Sunday) there was a heavy rain at around 6-7pm, The thing was those the track action was over by 5pm …

Moving the race start in that place to 5pm is simply stupid …

The other question of course is, for whom the race is organized in Malaysia, the grandstands were totally empty on Friday and Saturday … Not a sign of keen following …

My wife today was just joking, but she came with the idea of build some oars :P

Well, I’m not really sure but the solution to heavy rain could be skirts maybe, they would keep grip by providing ground effect even on a liquid layer, the driving would still be slippery, but the downfore produced by this solution would provoke a huge weight which can help the tires to stick more to the track, from what I’m not sure is that the skirts produce high downfore with higher speeds, then how to make it work then? No idea… This is not a technical forum and won’t keep twisting everybody’s head, just it’s proper to say that F1 is not a kind of category thought for having such showers… The tires which could allow some fast racing with rain still don’t exist for a racing car, I think for now only motorbikes count with reliable tires which provide good speed in slippery conditions.

• JRNo Gravatar says:

That’s hilarious. On a serious note, You and your wife should volunteer for US Army and plea for service on the “planning staff.” We might be able to make some progress in Iraq and Afghanistan with minds like yours on the team.

Aaah. Don’t bother. Your phone is gonna be ringing off the hook soon from Richard Branson, Briatore, and those guys.

You are a lucky man to have a wife like that. No wonder you are so good.

9. JRNo Gravatar says:

Just kidding. Maybe move the time of year out of monsoon season.

10. JRNo Gravatar says:

Yeah, I was gonna say. Maybe midnight. :) No, seriously, there has to be a better time. Maybe it is out of F1 season like December.

Who knows, but if it does rain like this 24/7/365 then F1 needs to comply with God.

This is a great track with its double straights. I would hate to see it go away because of water.

11. JRNo Gravatar says:

Check out Adelaide 1991 (courtesy Kotenok)

this is just part one. you’ll have to look up part two on your own.

It’s widely said and believed that the Toleman’s driver could have reached he’s first victory in the streets of Monte-Carlo that day, because Prost was getting caught almost moments before the race end, and in the final lap overtook Prost in the start straight (when the race was stopped with red flag on lap 32), this driver was Senna. But the official results of that race were taken from lap 31 (last lap completed by all the remaining drivers), as the rules specify that season. Some think that this was made to protect Prost’s victory from an unknown driver which was Ayrton Senna, it was Jacky Ickx who made the controversial decision to stop the race due to ‘heavy rain’, but in that moment rain wasn’t as strong as before… And all that seemed to protect also the victory of a TAG engine, provided by Porshe, company for which Ickx was an employee. As result of all that Ickx was suspended as race control :)

Kotenoks last blog post..Kotenok added 2 photos

• JRNo Gravatar says:

Wow. Nice work. When I gain the Presidency, you will be my chief of staff, Maybe SecDef. That’s fucking impressive. I hope Ferrari or Brawn doesn’t get their hands on you first.

• JRNo Gravatar says:

How old are you? Seriously.

Some people said that I have entu in the beginning, but I would rather say that I’m borring comparing myself to you :P Your kind of excitement may be healthy, because you look a very happy guy :) HEHE Should I supose that you’re from the states?

About me can say that I’m a 25 year-old Spanyard. You can know more about me and my interests in my club’s page at F1Wolf Club: http://f1wolf.ning.com/profile/Kotenok. You’re free to message me there over there with any opinion or questions :) I don’t know if we should bomb these posts with some topics which are not really related to the content.

Kotenoks last blog post..Kotenok added 2 photos

it all has to do something with wet races :-)