1994 San Marino Grand Prix, it’s been 15 years …

Ayrton Senna before the start of 1994 San Marino GP

Ayrton Senna before the start of 1994 San Marino GP

This weekend will mark 15th anniversary of the tragic 1994 San Marino Grand Prix when Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna lost their lives.

April 30 and May 1, 1994, it’s been 15 years…

Photo: Williams/LAT

it’s hard to believe its been 15 years. So much has changed in that time.

The cars and tracks are so much safer now adays. The Sutil accident in China was huge, head first into the wall, yet he walked away. Kubica’s wreck in Canada a couple years ago is another testiment to the improvements.

2. nieuweNo Gravatar says:

Still One of the greats lost his life needdlesly. I still remember watching the impact. But yes thank god for the improvements..

3. bmwf1guyNo Gravatar says:

I certainly won’t forget that weekend. I was stunned when Ratzenberger died and then Senna and it was like I was in a fog for the rest of the day.

bmwf1guys last blog post..Development Package for Spain Means Good Things to Come for BMW Sauber

I was a 10-year-old kid, too young for understand some things, but I could understand that F1 drivers are not super-human, they risk much of their life for their dreams and our hopes. I even didn’t see it live… But I remember that day, when after saw it in the news, and was shocked for a while, I don’t remember if few hours or few days. At this age, things can strike your conscience, and it forms part of one of my first remembers of F1 which can’t forget.

It’s comforting to know that one of the good things which Ayrton Senna made keeps going on, I mean the fundation which administrate Vivian. I read a little bit since then, and I’m impressed how Senna lived and lives in the soul of all of us. It would have been great maybe to see Bruno this year starting his career in F1, but let’s see what awaits him in the future :)

Kotenoks last blog post..Arun is now a member of F1Wolf Club

• JRNo Gravatar says:

I was 25. Man, you are young, Kotenok. Great to see a new generation take on F1. I could easily figure you for 50 based on your F1 knowledge. It’s great to see I was wrong.

Well, it’s over 15 years storing pieces of information :) If they keep in my brain that’s another talk :P But I’ve really feel passion for this sport and feel that sometimes even have been quite an obsession, so that may make easier that I remember things which I read not once or twice in my life. JR, do not consider me a kind of guru HAHA! I’m not :) If I was one, maybe I would dedicate to a very different thing in my life. But it’s pretty comforting that someone acknowledge my own opinion, I take it as very positive for me and thank you a lot :)

Kotenoks last blog post..Arun is now a member of F1Wolf Club

At those days we had no live coverage, only delayed broadcast late in the evening. But I remember that the evening news on that day started with news from Imola …

I remember the day, but not clearly. It was certainly a shocking loss to see a world champion fall. You always think the best are invincible.

We have become somewhat numb to the risk of racing lately. There has not been any deaths in the premier series for quite some time. I hope it’s not luck, but the safety of the cars and tracks.

Senna will always be regarded as one of the greats.

7. JRNo Gravatar says:

Senna lives forever.

8. ted boschNo Gravatar says:

I am new to F1. Don’t take offense, but I am a NASCAR fan and love the dirt and paved ovals in American V8 muscle. I have recently took interest in F1 and it’s drivers-past and present. I just wished I could have seen Senna race back in the day. It’s a completely new culture to me. I have witnessed the improved safety in all forms of auto racing and, tragically, it takes the death of greats to improve safety in our beloved sport. There has not been a death in the top level of NASCAR since 2001 when Dale Earnhardt lost his life. I think many do take the safety for granted in modern race cars-many are just accustomed to seeing drivers walk away from horrific crashes with not even a scratch (as demonstrated in last weekends Talladega NASCAR race where Carl Edwards walked away from a pretty bad wreck and Robbie Gordon hit the wall almost head on at 170 mph and also walked away). Danger and safety do not disciminate and does not care if you are in an open wheel car or a full-bodied car we all can learn from each breed of motorsports. I LOVE ALL RACING!

• JRNo Gravatar says:

Senna set the standard way before Earnhardt. Autosport is not about speed, it is about efficiency. Indy is about speed. NASCAR is basically bumper cars. F1 is about efficiency and technology.

These cars are 1500 lbs. NASCAR 3000. You are carburetors, we are chipped fuel-injection.. We are 2.4 V-8s at 750 HP and 17,000 RPM. We turn right as well as left. YOU don’t. forget evrything else.

Since 1994 we don’t have crashes that kill. If you look at Talledega this past weekend and look at it seriously, you will start to think of it like us. We don’t like crashes. They scare the shit out of us.

It was ironic, but I liked it a lot :) Yeah, there’s something of thrill of seeing a car becoming to little pieces, but I stick to the words “I don’t like crashes”. We can’t imagine the impact of the increasing changes in safety not only the last 15 years and just from the very beginning of motor sports. Racing is not all what matters, we seek entertainment, a way to express emotions and new feelings, but a dramatic scene isn’t a big joy, especially because that means just the contrary of what I told, a tremendous crash doesn’t give any chances to some more entertainment, and there aren’t many feelings, other than worry and fear…
        NASCAR is a great category of autosport, the search of the limits of senses in very high speeds in very close conditions, few meters separate the contesters while they keep in a never-ending slipstream. But that’s quite simple and doesn’t go further, because there are obviously no low speed turns and no hard braking, which makes this kind of sport a little bit less impressive. Anyway, for some time I have been an enthusiast of NASCAR, this was while I had satellite TV, but I have to say that it was just interesting in the last turns of the race.

Kotenoks last blog post..Arun is now a member of F1Wolf Club

9. [...] More interesting though, was the daily fact – on this day in 1994 Brazilian hero, Ayrton Senna was killed during the San Marino Grand Prix. [...]

Welcome to the group and sport Ted.

I too am from the States and grew up being inundated with Nascar and Indy Car. For some reason, I have been watching F1 since I was a little kid as well…maybe its my car heritage with family in the restoration and collection of fine sports cars like Aston Martin, Mercedes, and Porsche…not sure. But I have always followed F1 with a passion greater than Nascar and Indy (it might help that the cars accelerate, brake, turn left and right).

Nascar is to America what F1 is to all the other continents. Nascar created a fantastic formula for exciting racing. Indy Cars seem to have figured this out in the last few years. I love watching the last five laps of both series. Its completely opposite of F1, where I love the first five laps.

I will remember the Dale crash forever. Personally, I was surprised he was hurt as bad as he was. The failure of the seat belt killed him. He would have been fine otherwise. I have to say that I am not a fan of Dale Sr., in fact the obvious is true…I have very little respect for his driving ability. But that race made him a hero in my book. He did his typical Dale take out the guy in front at all risk to personal safety, hoping to get ahead…but this time he did it so Jr. could win Daytona. If anyone knew how special winning Daytona was, it was Sr. Great race!

Welcome, I look forward to your comments from the perspective of us Yanks!

11. I was born in Brazil… and grew up in Brazil…. at the time of Senna’s death I was only 8 years old. Needless to say…. our entire country mourned over his death. Our school held an assembly on his behalf. As we took the day off to remember Senna. Me and my classmates, we all dressed up under a Driver Suit, and one of my classmates got the chance to drive a go-kart around the gym in a salute lap to Senna. Senna is missed dearly, he was one of the greats. May he RIP.

Joey Logano Fans last blog post..Lipton Tea 250 Race Results