Formula 1 – 1993 Liveries – Mercedes returns

Here comes the latest episode in the F1 liveries series – year 1993. Mercedes made their F1 return in 1993 backing the only new team on the grid – Sauber.

Williams-Renault

Jordan-Hart

Jordan-Hart

Tyrrell-Yamaha

Tyrrell-Yamaha

Lola-Ferrari

Lola-Ferrari

1. That Ligier picture is very strange – there’s a wheel locked as if it’s being driven but there’s no-one in the car!

At the time I thought that thick white stripe on the Ferrari was heresy – but I didn’t know then that a few years later they’d trade in the evocative scarlet for that nasty, Marlboro-friendly orange…

Keith Collantines last blog post..Rubens Barrichello confirmed at ‘Honda’

2. TSJNo Gravatar says:

I count 9 different engine suppliers to 13 teams. That’s really amazing. I hope we get to see those kind of figures again in F1 someday, and not just have Mercedes, Ferrari, Toyota and Renault supply the entire field. BMW doesn’t seem keen on supplying anyone, which is odd I think. You would imagine that they could use the extra cash and what little input they might get.

By the way, wasn’t Hart just rebadged Ford-engines?

I also hope that one day we also see that many cars on the grid (or at least 24 that current rules allow). It is amazing that 2 teams closed down during 1992 season, 2 more did not make it through the winter but still there were 13 teams on the grid in 1993 …

• TSJNo Gravatar says:

Well, Andrea Moda did not really participate in 1992 either. I thnk I read somewhere that they did not qualify for a single race all season. That does not exactly give sponsors a lot of tv-time.

3. TimmieNo Gravatar says:

Love the old school shape of these cars and the extended wings on the Footwork and Lola Team cars is classic!

That Williams car is still one of the best looking out there in that era by a long way.

I find it amazing how close these cars look to the 2009 cars. The large front wing and small back wing are very close.

I also see that Ferrari appeared to spend very little time on aerodynamics at that time (only 15 years ago). The car was very simple, with no winglets or appendages. That may be why they fell behind in that stage of their existance.

• TimmieNo Gravatar says:

I do agree that there are a lot of similarities to the 2009 cars, though these 1993 chassis designs are a lot more bulky and are not yet at the “realisation stage” that Newey had and other about the wonders of air flow over lines and curves that we see now, everything is very boxy in the early era.

As for eager followers of F1, when all the changes were announced back last year, it was most of our beliefs that the 2009 cars were going to turn up looking like the 1993, 1994 cars of the old days and well, it pretty much is a definite that it is the case. I do still love that Williams of 93 but many of this years cars do look quite wonderful after all the evil thoughts we have had of terrible ugly designs that could have appeared to suit the rules!

5. Scott JoslinNo Gravatar says:

In general I think there are some nasty looking liverys in 1993. The Ferrari with the white stripe while being a kick back to the seventies felt wrong. The Minardi being plain white felt wrong and the Lola livery made my eyes and brain do funny things!

I know they were short on sponsors but the Larrousse colour scheme looks like it was designed by a 5 year old and a blue, red and yellow felt tip pen!

I thought the legs of Sonic the Hedgehog were clever on the Sega sponsorship on the Williams

6. TSJNo Gravatar says:

I agree. Its a plus that there were so many teams participating (or at least trying). However, the cars did look rather bland or down right ugly. In my oppinion the nicest are the McLaren and Tyrrells, and they are both fairly bland colour schemes. The Williams isn’t too bad either, but I really cannot understand why that colour scheme is loved by so many.

Ferrari used a special ‘sparkly’ version of the rossa corsa in Monaco a couple of years back, which was really great. I hope they bring back that one.