Sebastien Bourdais confirmed by Toro Rosso

The waiting is over, the 2009 F1 seat is secure for Bourdais

The waiting is over, the 2009 F1 seat is secure for Bourdais

Toro Rosso took their time but at the end they made the decision that many would consider being the right one. They chose Sebastien Bourdais over Takuma Sato for 2009 season. This decision also ends speculations about Jenson Button or Rubens Barrichello possibly joining the Faenza team following collapse of Honda F1 project. This is what Le Seb had to say:

“It has been a very long and difficult winter, but now the waiting is finally over and I am really excited about tackling my second season with Scuderia Toro Rosso. I would like to thank Red Bull and Dietrich Mateschitz for this opportunity to continue with a team that made so much progress last year. Now, I can focus on preparing for the coming season. It promises to be a very interesting one, thanks to all the rule changes and I’m also looking forward to establishing a good relationship with my new teammate, Sebastien Buemi, to ensure both of us do the best possible job for the team and for Red Bull.”

Team boss Franz Tost:

“After one year with Toro Rosso, we expect him to profit from the experience he gained last season. He now knows the F1 environment, the race tracks and the team. In addition, the slick tyres, which make a comeback this year, should suit his driving style very well. Therefore he will tackle the coming season with much more experience under his belt. This will be especially valuable given that our other driver, Sebastien Buemi, is an F1 rookie, who has come up through the ranks of the Red Bull Junior Driver programme.”

Although I was hoping that Takuma Sato would eventually get this drive (being fan of Sato was the reason) I humbly accept the fact that giving Sebastien Bourdais at least one more season to prove himself probably is the wiser choice. :-) .

The 2009 grid is now almost finalized, the only question marks remain over the “Honda” drivers if the team makes it.

1. DankNo Gravatar says:

Le Seb definitely deserves it in my eyes. Must have been awful going through the past few months wondering if your seat was secure or not.

James Allen sums it up pretty well – ‘Right Bloke for the Job’

Danks last blog post..Here comes the RB5

seriously interesting article by James Allen, thanks for the link ! I like that comparison of tough job for rookies with the 1993 season.

2. Jose ArellanoNo Gravatar says:

excellent! hope he proves i was right! hehe

I wonder who’s job will be tougher – Bourdais or Buemi’s. One has a reputation to repair, the other entering as rookie in a season when he will not get much testing mileage

Glad to here Sebastian kept his seat. I hope he has a fantastic year.

4. TimmieNo Gravatar says:

Unlucky for Sato, but i do believe that Bourdais is the right choice for the drive.

Word is Bourdais is also going to compete in the Le Mans 24 Hours for Peugeot.

Honda if they get some buyers, will likely be Button and Senna….

5. DankNo Gravatar says:

Honda if they get some buyers, will likely be Button and Senna….

Think you’re right. Senna has recently said he wouldn’t be returning to GP2 and I can’t see him going anywhere else, so maybe he knows something about the Honda situation which we don’t?

Danks last blog post..F1 RBR for sale

6. It seems Takuma Sato is not very happy they chose Bourdais instead of him.
    I think maybe it was all down to money.
    I think Takuma may have done better than Bourdais in the Toro Rosso
    We will see if Bourdais is any good after a few races.

• TimmieNo Gravatar says:

It ended up not being about the money actually.
      Sato had the sponsorship money and Bourdais couldn’t get much at all and was betting on getting the drive on skill and having been there for a year and being ready.
      Was right about the time of cost-cutting went to the extreme and Mateschitz announced that with the changes he could save about $100 million for his teams now, so they went with Bourdais as the money wasn’t as important anymore.
      Sato has had too many chances already anyway. His only real hope was with Honda, but even they weren’t interested in him.

7. bmwf1guyNo Gravatar says:

I like Bourdais as the choice. I think he’s got great potential and deserved more than one year to get his feet wet. This year is a make or break year for him I think and I hope he does well.

bmwf1guys last blog post..Is F1 Cost Cutting Already Failing?

8. [...] Toro Rosso finally confirmed Sebastien Bourdais as their second driver (not meaning no 2) for 2009 season. [...]

9. [...] arrived) and there were serious doubts about his F1 future. The team again took their time and confirmed him for second season only about 2 weeks ago. I think it is safe to say he would not be there for second season if there was another driver with [...]