2009 Prediction Game – Rules and the 2009 Champion Prediction

2009-prediction-game

The start of the 2009 Formula One season is getting closer and closer and so it is time to kick off our little prediction game too.

The rules are very similar to last year but there will be two small but significant changes compared to 2008 game.

First – The 2009 season has 17 races but only the best 16 scores will count for the final result. That means that those who accidentally miss one round will still remain in the game, those who do not miss any round will simply have their worst score erased.

Second – The end season bonus for guessing the champion correctly will be 15 instead of 25 points.

Here is the recap of the rules:

1) First of all, the game starts right away, from now until March 26, 2009 you can predict the 2009 Formula 1 World Champion. Do not worry, even if you make your prediction and later want to change your mind, your last entry before the deadline March 26, 23:59 GMT will be the one that counts. The correct guess will be worth extra 15 points at the end of the season. Leave your prediction for 2009 F1 Drivers Champion in comments below this post.

2) Before each race send in your prediction of top 8 in the order from 1st to 8th place + the fastest lap driver + the pole position driver. You have to make your predictions before the start of the Qualifying on Saturday, that means before the starting grid is known !

There is no registration required. You simply place your predictions in the comments and you are in. But to make sure you do not miss any round of the game I recommend those who haven’t done so yet to subscribe to F1Wolf.com by email. You can do it here:

Subscribe to Formula 1 Blog from F1Wolf by Email

Every round there will be a special prediction game post published on Thursday before the race weekend. All you need to do is to make your prediction in the comments below that post . You can also send it in by email to f1wolf at f1wolf dot com. However please note those placing the predictions in the Comments will automatically get 2 points bonus !

If you can’t access computer for whatever reason you may ask fellow competitor to enter the prediction on your behalf however in that case you will not get the 2 points bonus for that particular round.

Points will be awarded as follows:

For drivers:
- 1 point for each correct name among top 8
- 1 point for each correct name among top 3
- extra point for each correct finishing position
- extra point for correct winner
- 2 points for correct driver with fastest lap
- 2 points for correct pole position prediction (the actual driver on pole at the start of the race)

Teams:
- 1 point for each correct team among point finishers.

There will be 2 competitions:

a) The season long for the Grand Prize – 3 bottles of MUMM champagne. This prize will go to the overall winner with biggest point tally after 18 races. Only those older than the legal limit in their country will get the champagne. If you happen to win but you are too young there will be some alternative prize.

You can see here the prize won by our last year’s winner – Steve Robertson.

2008 Prediction Game Prize

b) The season is divided to 2 almost halves, winner of each of them will get a small prize (to be announced). First almost half ends after German GP, second begins with Hungarian GP.

If anybody has any question simply drop me an email or ask your questions in the comments.

So, the 2009 game begins now, make your 2009 F1 champion prediction here, in the comments below this post !

Difficult… Tests haven’t shown much about the cars until the date, let me see the tests in Barcelona in 2 weeks and I’ll be able to chose better my bet to the F1 World Champion 2009, meanwhile I’ll give you a name:

Nico Rosberg – AT&T Williams F1 Team

(Last year I missed to post something about the World Champion, and that cost me a chance of winning the final prize, this time I didn’t forget it HEHE)

I think this is first time anybody predicted Williams driver to win since this game begun in 2007 :-)

I’m a new guru!!! HAHA! Just in advance, I’ll decide later which is the best challenger, mand if Nico seems to go fast enough, why not to leave him??? Anyway, the change from being 8th to 1st in the championship is too big, I’m realistic…. HAHAHA!!!

2. Post edited by admin as part of it did not comply with Commenting on F1Wolf – The Rules

I’ll be entering your prediction game for sure. Vettel has to be a major driver this year but as for champ I have a horrible feeling Kimi will make a comeback.
    Thanks
    Mr Badger

3. TimmieNo Gravatar says:

Geez, tough call on picking a champion this year, for the moment, as i’m likely to change it before the beginning of the season, but just in case i forget! As Kotenok says, don’t want to miss out on that opportunity!

I’m going to go with….Lewis Hamilton, tough call really for now i will choose him to go back to back, but i might change my mind! lol

Last year only one of the frontrunners in the game had Hamilton for champ and that won him the bubbles pictured above :-)

• TimmieNo Gravatar says:

hehe, well almost worth staying with him then isn’t it? lol

big advantage if you pick the champion, lots of points to push you over and in front if you are slightly behind and no one else has it right!

Still can’t decide though whether Hamilton is the right choice but for now he will do!

4. DankNo Gravatar says:

Out on a limb: Robert Kubica.

(I bet I forget to change my selection before March 26 following a couple of woeful testing sessions!)

Danks last blog post..The Grand Prix Priest

5. RichNo Gravatar says:

Its early, but i better vote before i forget hahaha. I am predicting (as i did last year) that kimi will be champion again.

So my prediction is Kimi Raikkonen/Scuderia Ferrari

GO KIMI!!!

6. NieuweNo Gravatar says:

Hi guys I’m back :). Let get started then. I will pick Massa again. Poor guy has to win sometime :) :) :)

Good luck to everybody

7. BenNo Gravatar says:

I in this year as well, it was close and exiting last year. I could almost taste the MUMMS when Vettel passed Hamilton in the last race, and then Glock spun out. I would love to see Kimi or Massa win this year as I feel their attitude reflects a true champion, but picking Kimi last year cost me the oppertunity to win the prediction competition :(
    Even more than seeing Kimi or Massa win I would love to see Rosberg, Heidfeld og Webber come and chock everyone for a victory….I will keep dreaming :)
    For now I will go with Lewis Hamilton just because my brain has been far better at predicting than my heart so far :) I can’t wait for the season to start again, and hope it will be as exiting as last year where I posted as “Ben”, now I will be more daring and post as “Big Ben the Dane” :).

8. He served me well last year, so again I’ll go with Lewis Hamilton. Mainly because I can see either Ferrari driver as a threat each weekend, but I’m sure only one McLaren driver has a realistic chance this season – and he’ll have the number 1 on his car already..

I can’t wait for the season to begin.

Steve Robertsons last blog post..4 Weeks until the Australian Grand Prix

9. klokanNo Gravatar says:

Well, this is difficult to predict again 15 points of this funny game now. I would say it changed my view on the race and sometimes I am not supporting pilots I like but these I want to see on podium. I would love to see Kimi or Massa as first so I will choose Massa this season. So let’s have a fun again! Good luck.

10. [...] on 2009 Prediction Game – Rules and the 2009 Champion PredictionWell, this is difficult to predict again 15 points… »Kotenok on 2009 Prediction Game – Rules [...]

11. Nic B 205No Gravatar says:

Okay,
    1st time F1-Wolf prediction gamer.
    I’m going to have to go for Rubens… no, hang on, that other Brazillian: Felipe Massa
    I am glad to hear however that Rubino has been linked with USF1 – how awsome would that be? .. come on, he beat Massa and Schumey at the Massa friends kart race
    =)

• BotbotNo Gravatar says:

L0L. Rubens?

I think Albers will win. Anyone who can drive a formula 1 car dragging a hose is a champion IMHO.

ROFLMAO. LOL LOL LOL. :-()

• Nic B 205No Gravatar says:

Okay, after the recent tests, I’ll go back to my original choice.
      I believe the Brawn GP hype (don’t pull a Prost on me) and go for Rubens… just because of the poetic justice of it all.
      Final decision: Rubens Barrichello

I feel like I am blindfolded throwing darts at a board picking this one. I still think McLaren and Ferrari are still ahead of others, but the changes, and addition of KERS have me lost.

My heart says one of the Ferrari’s, but I think Ferrari has fallen behind in KERS development. So at this point I choose Hamilton. He probably has the best car, is clearly the team leader, and is one year more experienced.

That being said, and like everyon else…don’t be surprised if I change my pick on March 25.

Best of luck to all this year!

13. OzziNo Gravatar says:

Alonso will finish his second Renault stint on the same note he finished his first….. just to up set everyone of course!

14. SriramNo Gravatar says:

My prediction is Kimi Raikkonen and Ferrari……

Time for revenge…..come on Kimi….show them what you got….

15. velvet demonNo Gravatar says:

Well, ok I will try – Robert Kubica/BMW

16. OzziNo Gravatar says:

Sorry Kotenok… What I was trying to say was Alonso/Renault to finish #1!

17. nieuweNo Gravatar says:

And I will also say BMW for constructors :)… just for the sake of it I know there no points Wolf but thought I’d throw it in :)

18. Flying DutchmanNo Gravatar says:

It’s good to be back in the game! The 2009 champion will be Massa…or Raikkonen?… Mhhh, no..it’s gonna be Massa… or uhh.. yep Massa!

19. bmwf1guyNo Gravatar says:

I’m jumping out of the box too and am going to pick Robert Kubica.

20. Aaron MullanNo Gravatar says:

For me it’s gotta be Lewis Hamilton for world champ. He’ll want to be the first British driver to retain the title.

1st race prediction.
    Kubica
    Massa
    Hamilton
    Alonso
    Raikonnen
    Vettel
    Kovalinen
    Glock

21. ArunNo Gravatar says:

The Iceman cometh – Kimi for the title

22. CapnfranNo Gravatar says:

Hmmm so many drivers to pick…… man you know what im doing this for shits and giggles and im gonna say Nick Heidfeld. now dont get me wrong i love f1 and i aint making fun of it. But id be happy with him at least winning a race. and i would get a tat of me saying i love rubens if barrichello wins . but it just seems so exciting i cant wait. and good luck to everyone else.!

23. TimmieNo Gravatar says:

Okay i’m changing my choice from Hamilton for 2009 to Raikkonen for the championship!

Just can’t take it and i’m going to go with my favourite driver instead of who i think will win. (though i think some of the latest testing times and rumours of McLaren being in trouble are helping me with this decision!)

So go Kimi Raikkonen for the world championship win in the prediction game, woo!

24. MitchNo Gravatar says:

For the title, Kimi Raikkonen, Scuderia Ferrari

• AndrewNo Gravatar says:

If brawn can keep it together for the whole season then the title is probaly gonna be between Button and Barichello. But only if Brawn can keep it together for most of the season.

25. FISHEYENo Gravatar says:

Guess whoś back, ….back again…….FISHEYE is back….tell a friend :-) OK guys, my final champion prediction is…………… FELIPPE MASSA/ Ferrari … so go RED. Good luck to you all and welcome all new people.

26. Ex-race-marshalNo Gravatar says:

Are you ready to rumble?!!!
    The 2009 Champ – Robert Kubica!
    I know, all of you already visited Madame Lenormand, or have the crystal ball.
    But I’ve got to tell you; ‘You are close… but no cigar!!!’
    (BTW, my 8th ball is always right!)

27. vectraNo Gravatar says:

One word only needed
    KIMI ;)

28. GruvenNo Gravatar says:

I’m going for the one and only Kimi!

29. AbhiNo Gravatar says:

Kimi Raikkonen
    And ferrari
    will finish the season wih highjpoints

30. pk_dude04No Gravatar says:

I’ll join this and after todays big news i think that it has to be Massa for the title

World Champion Felipe Massa – Scuderia Ferrari

Australia Result
    1. Massa
    2. Kubica
    3. Hamilton
    4. Alonso
    5. Raikonnen
    6. Heildfeld
    7. Rosberg
    8. Button

You’d never guess i was a McLaren Fan

31. [...] do not forget – The 2009 Prediction Game is already on ! If you haven’t done so yet, join in ! If you did, you may want to check your drivers’ champion prediction, there is still chance to [...]

32. dibsmjfNo Gravatar says:

2009 Drivers Champion – Fernando Alonso

33. Nic B 205No Gravatar says:

Round 1 – Melbourne
    Driver placing prediction:
    1. Barrichello
    2. Button
    3. Kubica
    4. Raikonnen
    5. Alonso
    6. Trulli
    7. Heidfeld
    8. Massa (Melbourne is not his strong suit)

Pole: Rubens Barichello
    Fastest Lap: Rubens Barichello

• Nic B 205No Gravatar says:

Okay, I didn’t expect Williams to go that well.
      I’ll update my new prediction on the Melbourne Round

34. osamaNo Gravatar says:

AUSTRALIA GRAND PRIX

i think i have to be very brave to get it right, so here we go..

POLE POSITION: JENSON BUTTON – BRAWN GP

4.Button
    5.Hamilton
    6.Webber
    7.Kovalinen
    8.Vettel

39. alicoteroNo Gravatar says:

Australian GP bet (New player!)
    Pole: Alonso
    1st Barrcihelo
    2nd Alonso
    3rd Kimi
    4th Massa
    5th Hamilton
    6th Kubica
    7th Heidfeld
    8th Vettel
    Fastest Lap: Kimi

Maybe the change in my championship prediction is not in the right direction, but I’ll bet for Fernando Alonso. The Renault is pretty stable now and the battle may be tight, anyway let’s say Williams will do it much better this year :)

Kotenoks last blog post..Kotenok added a video

41. mcw3No Gravatar says:

Whoever was throwing darts blindly, will you toss one for me?
    Let’s go with Kimi!

Very few predictions for Hamilton so far. I am a little surprised as McLaren has been upfront for several years. I know they are rumored to be off pace, but F1 pre-season is full of rumors and games.

Having predicted Hamilton for the title, you all have me worried…but I still have a couple days to change my mind…lol.

43. FantociNo Gravatar says:

7. Sebastian Vettel – Red Bull
    8. Timo Glock – Toyota

World Champion: Fernando Alonso

45. MANUNo Gravatar says:

I AM A FRESHER TO THIS PREDICTION GAME BUT I ROOTED FOR HAMILTON LAST YEAR AND

HE NEVER FAILED ME

SO I M GONNA SUPPORT HIM THIS YEAR TOO CAUSE I THINK HE IS GOING TO MAKE IT TWO IN A ROW

SO ITS LEWIS HAMILTON AS F1 CHAMPION FOR 2009

46. OzziNo Gravatar says:

I’m away this weekend and will probably have no internet access after today…. so here is my stab in the dark for the Melbourne GP!

Pole Position: Jenson Button

1st. Nick Heidfeld
    2nd. Kimi Räikkönen
    3rd. Fernando Alonso
    4th. Rubens Barrichello
    5th. Jarno Trulli
    6th. Robert Kubica
    7th. Mark Webber
    8th. Nico Rosberg

Fastest Lap: Kimi Räikkönen

I will update my guess if I manage to find an internet connection between Friday practice and Saturday qualifying!

47. TimmieNo Gravatar says:

Alright picks for Melbourne and my final choice of World Champ:

Pole: Rubens Barrichello

1st. Kimi Raikkonen
    2nd. Robert Kubica
    3rd. Rubens Barrichello
    4th. Felipe Massa
    5th. Lewis Hamilton
    6th. Timo Glock
    7th. Fernando Alonso
    8th. Nico Rosberg

Fastest Lap: Kimi Raikkonen

World Champ: Kimi Raikkonen

I have a new pre-season prediction for champion. I no longer think McLaren has the car to win, and will not be able to recover with the changes to in season testing.

I was ready to switch to Kimi, until FIA reversed the champion scoring. I do not think Kimi has the stuff to win over 17 races. I do think Ferrari is the team to beat. So my new pick is Felipe Massa. Go Ferrari!

Of course, there is still two more days and plenty of time to change my mind.

49. WilNo Gravatar says: