I found this message in my mailbox on Friday morning:
Your web hosting account has been deactivated (reason: site causing performance problems). Although your web site has been disabled, your data may still be available for up to 15 days, after which it will be deleted. If you feel this deactivation is in error, please contact customer support as soon as possible.
Of course I felt that the deactivation was in error. So I contacted the customer service trying to find out what is the problem. That however they never told me. They threw some numbers at me saying once I get over those my account gets suspended. I never got even remotely close to those numbers. But arguments like those do not go well with those arrogant customer service people. All they said was that if I feel there is nothing wrong with my data then perhaps it is time to upgrade my hosting plan. Alternatively I was to hire a webdeveloper to solve the issues for me. What issues however they still did not tell me. Before I had chance to ask any more question they cut me off from the Live Chat too …
The help came via Facebook from Manila . It does not look like there was much wrong with my data other than the fact there seem to be way too many sites hosted on my old shared server. The hosting company does not care. For them the solution to their problems is to suspend their customers’ accounts witout any prior warning … Very strange way of customer care and services. All they achieved is that I moved the site to different host.
Thanks to everybody who offered me help yesterday and sent over those encouraging messages !