Does Bernie Ecclestone really mean this ?

Bernie EcclestoneNow I really hope he has been misquoted or this story was made up or something. This is what Bernie Ecclestone is said to have said on demise of Super Aguri according to PA Sports:

“More room. It means we have a lot more room now because the teams are expanding like crazy with their hospitality units and their trucks and everything. We’re always running out of room. We’re not looking for 12 teams, we’re looking for ten.

So the space for hospitality is what F1 is about, not the action on track … Hm, that explains a lot then …

The later part of the story on potential Super Aguri bail out by Bernie himself makes a bit more sense:

“I didn’t want to put in 100 million, which is what was needed. For somebody else it might have been okay, but it wasn’t for me.”

For those who do miss the Super Aguri, here is a video:

1. StewNo Gravatar says:

What do I expect from Bernie? Just what he says. It’s almost as if he’s a comedian or something. It’s hard to imagine a guy like that has the power he does.

He may be a financial brain, he can’t go away so easy as say bye bye guys tomorrow. BUT I REALLY WISH HE GOES AWAY!!! What a creepy man! I just can’t see that, the FIA and FOM administration should be happy from recieving the huge ammounts of money which the teams and drivers pay to inscribe in the championship, only this inscriptions could feed some of the most poor countries in Africa, but Bernie Ecclestone take it to his pocket… Piece of vulture!

Why this quotes appeared when the inscription of several teams in the Formula One Championship is the best profit to their interests? FOM is with huge wishes to expand the races in new places and the economical growing countries, so they might want some teams which identify the population of such countries? And also the FOM is winning enormous proffit of such news as a new team appeared or a team have been purchased by some new owner, they’re selling the information sources and the picture rights as well!!! I can only tell about his opinion that is the weakest of his business.

We may be getting disapponted of the F1 heads day by day.

3. marcNo Gravatar says:

Almost a comedian Stew?

How about he’s been one for years, he just doesn’t get paid for it via Comedy Central.

marc’s last blog post..Massa Tops Practice Time Sheets

4. Black ZeddNo Gravatar says:

Reminds me of his comment in the potential demise of the Silverstone track years ago..only to be bailed by him later..

Black Zedd’s last blog post..Observe The Labor Day

His actions and remarks continue to prove that he is driven by financial motives only. He would rather make a dollar than promote the betterment of F1 racing.

He has no respect for racing, or the history of F1. His continual attempts to get rid of Silverstone from the F1 circuit prove that.

F1 would be better without him.

Found a comment from Ben elsewhere that I think fits this topic too:

Comment by Ben | Edit This

May 10th, 2008 at 10:02 am

I will miss Super Aguri thats for sure. I think more cars is better as it increases the drama and excitement in having more battle to watch. More than hoping these quotes are not right I hope those opinions are not right, but it would not surprise me I if indeed money and convenience is more important to Bernie than the racing, fans, or even doing the right thing.
    I guess the problem with sports involving so much money is that you are always likely to get people involved that cares more about the money than the sport or people.