It looks like the first day day of Barcelona testing was all about the new Ferrari hole. The fact that the combination of the new hole in the nose part of Ferrari car and the slick tyres resulted in 3 seconds gap between Massa and the second fastest car, Honda of Alex Wurz, is one of the reasons the expected hole got so much attention.
McLaren slow times should not be taken too seriously though. If you look carefully at the pictures from Barcelona, you can see the tiny almost Monza like rear wing on de la Rosa’s car. McLaren obviously spent the day focusing on 2009 season rather than updates for the next race. BMW Sauber did not run on slicks yesterday, so Heidfeld’s times can’t be compared to Massa either …
One thing remains fact nevertheless, the Ferrari was scary quick on Monday in Barcelona.
While browsing the pictures from yesterday’s test, the only other ineteresting thing I spotted were the front wheel covers on Renault. If I am not wrong, that is new.
There is a nice picture gallery from Barcelona here. The site is in Spanish.
Barcelona test – Day one times:
1. F. Massa – Ferrari – 1:18.339
2. A. Wurz – Honda – 1:21.059
3. P. de la Rosa – McLaren – 1:21.566
4. N. Heidfeld – BMW Sauber – 1:21.679
5. N. Piquet – Renault – 1:22.125
6. D. Coulthard – Red Bull – 1:22.197
7. K. Nakajima – Williams – 1:22.431
8. T. Glock – Toyota – 1:22.590
9. V. Liuzzi – Force India – 1:22.846