Tale of two Formula 1 drop outs

Drop out no 1 – The looser

Jacques Villeneuve – Has been dropped by the Bill Davis Racing NASCAR team after hitting a wall and causing a multi-car accident during a qualifying for the Daytona 500. (reported by grandprix.com)

Ralf Schumacher DTM Ralf Schumacher DTM

Drop out no 2 – The winner

Ralf Schumacher – After 11 years in the Formula 1 World Championship, Ralf Schumacher (32) will race this year with the Trilux AMG Mercedes C-Class in the DTM, Mercedes-Benz Motorsport announced today. Ralf Schumacher’s DTM debut will take place at the season opener in Hockenheim on 13th April 2008. (Daimler Media)

1. VinceNo Gravatar says:

More accurate info on JV and his Nascar woes are here.

I like how they make it look like he is horrible and doing a horrible job. Actually he has been doing a great job but is lacking experience in traffic which has caused some crashes.

Davis Jr is actually looking forward to getting Villeneuve back behind the wheel of the car but since they have no sponsorship they cannot afford to have any more crashes.

He qualified 17th on the grid at Daytona in single car but crashed in the qualifying races. How much qualifying can you have really.. i don’t know. Do it single car and be done with it.

2. marcNo Gravatar says:

Depends on your definition of “horrible” Vince.

If you classify not bringing in the sponsorship as he promised, yes he has done a very poor job.

If you count deciding to jump into NASCAR’s top tier series (as opposed top what Ambrose, Montoya and Scott Speed have done) as “horrible” yes he most definetly has.

We’ve all seen the last of Jacques in the Sprint Cup Series. He’s called a presser in Montreal for Wednesday to allegedly announce plans to compete in the Nationwide series and ARCA.

3. StewNo Gravatar says:

I’ve been a big fan of Jacques for a long time. I’ve seen him race from the Indy 500 to many Indy Car races and the Canadian Grand Prix. He’s a fellow Canadian, what can I say.

To see his career spiral down like this is disappointing.

4. Black ZeddNo Gravatar says:

Such a sorry outcome for a former WORLD champion.

He’ll be better off in DTM, Nascar is soo different from any other motorsport. It’s not surprising he failed to fit in.

Black Zedd’s last blog post..I’m Offering $89.2b To Acquire Yahoo! Inc.

Thanks for the comments guys. i am not that familiar with NASCAR so to get here some feedback from people who follow that is great !

Feel a bit sorry for Jacques Villeneuve. but that is life … His F1 career ended also after he crashed his car at Hockenheim in 2006 (right in front of me that happened, but is was not my fault I swear :-0 )

F1Wolf’s last blog post..Tale of two Formula 1 drop outs

6. ParisNo Gravatar says:

My racing buddy convinced me to watch Daytona 500 as I don’t ‘do’ NASCAR. I had to an extent followed IRL last year so had watched Franchetti drive, and crash, drive, crash, crash, and drive ; ) I was very surprised to see the difference in driving performance in his debut at Daytona.

I was expecting a better drive from him but as my racing buddy pointed out, the stock car is a whole different beast to be tamed and mastered. That being said, F1 still rules the jungle…

Paris’s last blog post..“We’re both rotten”

7. RichNo Gravatar says:

Hahahah Thats Fine By Me. I Never Liked Villinueve And Never Will haha. Idk How He Got The World Championship

I watched the race and thought he did a fantastic job of keeping a horrible car up front. It was obvious he was fighting the car the whole race, but had no choice as he had to finish high to make the race.

He qualified 17th, which is astonishing given the team he is on.

About 15 laps in, he lost the back end and regained control without letting off the gas and without loosing pace. I have never seen that in Neckcar before (usually once the back slides out, your done).

The problem with Neckcar is that to win you need help. The areo packages on those beasts require a car from behind to “push”, hence why you see the train of cars following each other. None of the “good ol boys” are going to help any of those “foriegners”…bad for Juan, Dario, Patrick, and Jacque (if he gets a ride).