Ralf confirms the obvious – No Schumacher on the F1 grid in 2008

It is official – for the first time since 1991 the Schumacher name will be missing from Formula 1 grid. After retirement of Michael Schumacher the curtain falls on the F1 career of his younger brother Ralf as well. He finally admitted the obvious to the German site motorsport-total.com (external link, German). Ralf Schumacher will miss out the 2008 Formula 1 season.

He may still have a return to F1 on his mind, but that may not be easy and with so many young F1 wannabies in line I would say impossible. This is what Ralf thinks:

“Theoretically that may be possible, but practically you have to wait and see what happens. Formula One waits for nothing and no-one.”

Ralf Schumacher a realist ! That is a novelty !

He also gave some hints on his racing future, but only by stating what he is not going to do:

“Until now it has been my life, and motor sport is certainly a big part of my future. In which form, remains to be seen. No matter what car, an oval will never see me, and I will never go to Le Mans, or Dakar.”

In the meantime, Rupert Stadler, Audi Chief Executive made it clear what Audi thinks about signing up Ralf for DTM:

“There is absolutely no need for us to do that. It’s our goal to get young and ambitious drivers and let them grow within our team. Martin Tomczyk, Mattias Ekstrom and even Tom Kristensen came to us as ‘nobodies’. And now they are very popular and famous.”

Good sign for Ralf though, in Audi they do not consider him as “nobody”…

Will you miss Ralf Schumacher in F1 ?

1. ShaunNo Gravatar says:

Will anybody really miss Ralf Schumacher, he has only ever been Michael’s lesser talented brother to me and over the last few years completely forgot he was even on the grid most of the time!

2. OllieNo Gravatar says:

I don’t miss Ralf. I found him to be quite petulant and to dismiss Force India, thus rendering him unemployed for 2008, was a little childish. He may have been correct, but there were betters of dealing with the situation.

Ralf never really shone out as a spectacular talent and the lack of interest from other teams seems to reinforce that belief.

3. ParisNo Gravatar says:

Will I miss Ralf who?
    Surely the Wolf jests, eh?

Alright, I am a rank amateur for not until 2007 is when I finally turned my attention and energy to F1 racing. I had loved it from afar but had not followed it closely. But, even to this untrained eye, Ralf Schumacher’s driving was uninspired, sloppy, and questionable that perhaps he stood off gotten off the track even sooner.

no one will miss Ralf ? :-)

5. KlokanNo Gravatar says:

No one will miss Ralf, he has never shown anything special…

actually he did not do that bad before his move to Toyota. Here are some stats I compiled earlier during the 2007 season:

But Ralf of the year 2007 for sure will not be missed …

7. ShadowKnightNo Gravatar says:

Ralf had potential however never converted that to true talent. It is absolutely no surprise that he does not have a drive. He is one of the rare younger brothers to be no where near as good as his brother.

Ralf had a great F1 career, better than the vast majority of other drivers. He just happened to be the brother of the greatest driver in recent generations.

I am anxious to see if Toyota improves, or continues along in mediocrity without Ralf…that may be the biggest measurement of how good Ralf was.

Hi zblkhwk, this is an interesting opinion on Ralf, will be interesting to see how Toyota will be doing in post Ralf era

Don’t get me wrong…I’m not a big Ralf fan. But he does have six wins, and that is certainly a respectable total. No one gets six wins because his brother is a great driver.

My guess is that Toyota stays where they are, at the back end of the second tier teams fighting for a couple points.

that is the thing about Ralf … he did have good races and good results, but his desire to and motivation to race seems to have evaporated after he moved to Toyota

12. Michel S.No Gravatar says:

Ralf was really good in 2001, and was fast-but-erratic in 1997. In Toyota, however, he was mediocre — and I’d always wonder what would have happened had Toyota opted to focus on Trulli in 2005 — they started the season so well, but Ralf was unhappy with the car. Towards the end of the season Ralf is happier with the car but now Trulli is struggling.

Why Ralf gets paid, and listened to, so much in his later years is rather surprising. Perhaps because he’s a German in German-influenced teams? (Williams-BMW, Cologne-based Toyota)

Time will tell…Toyota definitely is not shy to spending money. I can not pinpoint a reason why they can not seem to catch up with Ferrari, McLaren, Sauber, or Renault.

I have heard they have good power…perhaps they simply can not master the aero packages like the others. Perhaps their gearbox simply is not up to par. I don’t believe it is all the driver’s.